We survived. But just barely.

It all started one week ago, last Thursday night.

Logan came stumbling into our room sometime in the wee hours of the morning.  He was crying and saying something that I could not understand. I kept saying “what’s wrong? What’s wrong, sweetie?” And he kept blubbering until the blubbering stopped. And then he puked.

All over my bed.

We get him all cleaned up, get the sheets changed, and get him settled.

Then Camryn wakes up. Not with vomit, thank goodness. It was croup. I get her settled down, get the humidifier going, and settle back to sleep.

Then Logan throws up again. Thankfully this time he mostly hit the barf bucket (and I have to give major props to Derek for totally taking the middle of the night puke duty.) The rest of Thursday night is a blur…I think that Camryn and Logan were both up at least one other time.

Friday, Camryn is clearly not feeling well, running a bit of a fever, and Logan is obviously still recovering from his night of puking. It was a pretty low key day, but really not too shabby. It’s nice to just chill out and relax.

Satruday, everyone was surprisingly well enough to go to the soccer games. In fact, both boys played great, even scoring a few goals each! It was a gorgeous day outside. This is the time of year that I love soccer season. But by Saturday night, Camryn’s croup is back full force and I’m thinking she needs something. Luckily, one dose of steroids did the trick.

Sunday was more soccer for Connor. Camryn was Miss Cranky Pants, but she hung there. It seemed we were all on the mend. If only we had known what was coming…

Monday afternoon, Logan bounced of the bus with the very exciting news that Connor had thrown up on the bus. You know how boys are…puke is always kind of exciting and fascinating when it isn’t you. The throw up did not stop there. In fact, that was the tip of the vomit iceberg. He puked and puked and puked some more. It was heartbreaking! Believe it or not, this was his first time to get really sick like that. Poor kid.

Monday evening, Derek left town for a business trip. I got all the kids settled for the night and sat down to watch a little tv and relax. About an hour later, I started to feel a little funny. It came on so suddenly. One minute, I was fine, cleaning up Connor’s puke…the next minute, I was sick myself. It did not stop, and I threw up all night long.

Tuesday morning…oh my word. I cannot remember the last time I felt that awful. I literally could not move off the couch. Keep in mind, Derek was out of town, I’m sick as a dog, and having to take care of the kids. I was so proud of Logan. He got himself completely ready for school-fixed his own breakfast, got himself completely dressed, made his own lunch, and packed his own bag. Connor was doing slightly better than I was on Tuesday morning (he had a 6 hour head start on the vomit party), so he walked Logan down to the bus stop. Connor and I spent the entire day on the couch while Camryn did a pretty good job entertaining herself, and helping herself to fruit snacks, goldfish, and chips along the way.

Wednesday, Connor and I were both doing much better. C went off to school, and I planned on spending the day laying low with Camryn. Derek arrived back home from his business trip and he unfortunately had the same bug. The day wasn’t nearly as relaxing as I wanted it to be between sanitizing everything, doing laundry, and catching up on house stuff. Then I realized that Camryn really needed to be seen by the doctor. Turns out my sweet girl has a horrible uti. We had kind of noticed some symptoms over the weekend, but of course, with all the puking it was the least of our concerns.

So, in summary, we’ve had croup, a stomach bug, and a urinary tract infection in the past week. It’s been a wee bit stressful, to say the least. It was one of those times where it sure would have been nice to have some local grandparents! But we survived, and hopefully we are done with the sickies for now.

I’ll end this post with these pictures, you know, since I talked about vomit and infection the least I can do is post a few cute pictures of the kids. I’ve been taking the kids out one at a time to get some pictures. I still need to have a date with Connor, but I managed to get one of Logan and Camryn before all the sickness took over. I love these pictures of them!

4 Replies to “We survived. But just barely.”

  1. that sounds a LOT like our trip back from Pennsylvania. Just substitute Chicago airport for your bedroom, and a 737 for the bus. Good times.

  2. Oh I am so sorry. Vomit is no fun, in any form. Especially when you have it as the momma bear! I hope this weekend brings you much restored joy and family time!

  3. Sounds like a certain New Year’s Eve party that I seem to remember…only you had three kids this time too! So glad you guys are feeling better.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *